RSS Feed

Open-faced falafel burgers

3

Wednesday 5 September 2012



We've been trying to cook more vegetarian food so I gave this recipe a shot.  It turned out great...very tasty and light.  I decided to garnish with arugula, cucumbers and red peppers.  Next time I think I'll try beets.


Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Serves 4-6


Ingredients

1/2 cup large-flake oats
1/3 cup cracked wheat or bread crumbs
1/2 540 mL can chickpeas, drained
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/3 cup chopped spanish onion
1 egg
1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp thyme
2 tsp honey
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 540 mL can lentils, drained
6 small Greek-style pita breads

Tahini sauce
2 tbsp tahini (sesame paste)
2 tsp lemon juice
4 tbsp plain yogurt or sour cream

Optional (for garnish)
1/2 cup sliced English cucumber
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
Bunch of arugula
1 red bell pepper, quartered



Directions

  1. Pulse oats and cracked wheat (or bread crumbs) in a food processor until ground. Add chickpeas, garlic, onions, egg, spices, salt and honey. Mix until smooth.  Transfer paste into a medium-sized bowl and add lentils. Shape into six 4-in.-wide patties.







    2.   Heat a cast-iron skillet or frying pan over medium and add a small
          amount of oil. Cook patties, 2 at a time, until golden and warmed
          through, 4-5 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining patties.



     3.  Warm pita bread in the oven


    4.  Top with tahini sauce and your favourite garnish.


     4.  Savour it!





3 comments

  1. Yummmm I'm definitely trying these next week. Do you know if they freeze well??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes they do. I cooked 4 right away and put the remaining ones in the freezer on the cutting board for 30 min (so they were easier to handle). Then I put them in a zip-lock freezer bag. Matt made one the next day from frozen and said it was even better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM! I've been eating them week (only 1 left). Lovely flavour and really nice and crispy. You're right, they freeze well. Also, they defrost quickly. I over food-processed so they were a bit sticky to handle. Next time (and there will be a next time) I'll won't mix quite as long, I'll make sure the chickpeas/lentils are completely dry, and/or (as you suggested) I'll add a bit more flour.
    Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete

Categories

Powered by Blogger.